Friday, December 17, 2010

Warm Winter Gear


Winter is upon us here in KC.  It has been in the single digits with wind chill this last week.  Thankfully, we have not had the snow/ice like last year (yet!)

My 5yo needed some warm weather gear for standing out at the bus stop.  The schools here are wimpy- no playing outside for temps under 32 degrees!

But my daughter is the adventurous one.  She will play outside for hours if it has to do with snow.  My 2yo will only stay out for minutes!

Last week my daughter was playing outside with the dog.  He was pulling her down the hill in her sled, with the rope in his mouth!  Too funny!  Our dog Shasta is an Aussie.  My daughter named him after the dog in the movie Snow Buddies (for those of you who have kids.)

So I found some fleece on sale at JoAnn's and made the following:
Fleece hat and scarf


Fleece hat.

I used this tutorial for the hat from the wonderful site From an Igloo.


Easy fleece scarf.

Just take three layers of fleece approx 6 inches by 48-60 inches.  Sew down the middle, then cut strips one inch apart.  Too cute.  I made four of these scarfs, for DD and friends.

I also am going to make these as gifts for adults.
Cheap and easy alert:  I bought a 2-pack of fleece blankets at Walmart for $6.  They are both 48x60 inches.  Much cheeper than buying the fabric, and the blanfets are in coordinating colors.  I plan on making matching headband/earwarmers with this.  There alre lots of cute tutorials out for this.


Cute dino hat for DS.  I also used the From an Igloo tutorial.  I have to make another one though, as it is now lost.  Somehow this happens to all our winter gear!

I also plan on making matching mittens.

Two great tutorials:

and


Stay Warm!

Linking to:



 
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up     party!
Tidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays

5 comments:

  1. I love them, they are SO cute! :)
    You should ads them to the Flickr group!

    Christine
    From An Igloo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all so cute! I'm with your 2 year old-- I can only stay out for a couple minutes when it's that cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so cute! I want to the dino hat for my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! So glad I stopped by. Love those fleece hats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that dino hat is so very cute!!! I love it! If there is ever a little boy in my life, I will need to keep it in mind :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and feedback : )
New followers are always welcome.